Derren Brown Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4th email from Spearman: "The choice is made" (Find Andy blog)

+39
wilsot05
paul3313
SemiColon
davemoses
Diane 79
XxLadyClaireXx
nikki_watt
thezomeister
Jennyfz84
charliechalk
emiiily
LairyT
Jo
tiram
soulmate02
TrustNo1
codifier
who's arthur?
jude
deepa
Bonitahughes
JayKay
SuZi
ferkle
Edd Dunn
CJ
salt'n'shake
aeropagitica
Surzy
Nephthys
d_g_
HannahHannah81
justapix
Deano88
AndyWaite
hallmork
alsieb
james
helen1984
43 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

4th email from Spearman: "The choice is made" (Find Andy blog) - Page 11 Empty Andy

Post  clockworkdoll Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 am

I did type the numbers into google maps along with the place name though. It pinpointed a particular street for me. Here is the link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB277GB277&q=Latitude+1351%2c+Longitude+8041

It fits with the latitude 1351 and longitude 8041.

By the way, has anyone realised that:
a) We've been referring to being 'Down the rabbit hole' a lot.
b) Alice from Alice in Wonderland talked a lot about latitude and longitude.
Just interesting.

clockworkdoll

Back to top Go down

4th email from Spearman: "The choice is made" (Find Andy blog) - Page 11 Empty Re: 4th email from Spearman: "The choice is made" (Find Andy blog)

Post  rogibson Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:01 pm

clockworkdoll wrote:Oh my god...Andy from Shawshank Redemption. YES! because his best firend Red's full name is...drumroll please...Ellis Redmann Smile I feel clever. Please tell me if someone already found this. But Ellis went looking for Andy and found him in 'a Pacific Mexican Town'. I'lll try to find a better location, though.

Ellis' middle name is Boyd! Plus Shawshank Redemption gets a mention in Tricks of the Mind aswell!

rogibson

Back to top Go down

4th email from Spearman: "The choice is made" (Find Andy blog) - Page 11 Empty Re: 4th email from Spearman: "The choice is made" (Find Andy blog)

Post  Surzy Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Could it really be this simple??

Before being sentenced to life, Andy managed, with the help of his closest friend, to sell off his assets and invest them under a pseudonym. This made-up person, Peter Stevens, has a driver's license, social security card, and other credentials. The documents required to claim Peter Stevens's assets and assume his identity are in a safe deposit box in a Portland bank; the key to the box is hidden under a black rock in a rock wall lining a hay field in the small town of Buxton, not too far from Shawshank.

After eighteen years in prison, Andy shares the information with Red (Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding), describing exactly how to find the place and how one day "Peter Stevens" will own a small seaside resort hotel in Mexico. Andy also tells Red that he could use a man who knows how to get things. Red, somewhat confused about why Andy has confided this information in him, reflects on Andy's continued ability to surprise.

One morning after he has been incarcerated for nearly twenty-seven years, Andy literally disappears from his locked cell. After searching the prison grounds and surrounding area without finding any sign of an escaped man, the warden looks in Andy's cell and discovers that the poster on his wall (now showing Linda Ronstadt) covers a man-sized hole. Andy had used his rock hammer—and a replacement when the original wore down—not just to shape rocks, but to dig a hole, incredibly painstakingly and over many years, through the wall. Once through the wall, he broke into a sewage pipe, crawled through it for some 500 yards, emerged into a field beyond prison's outer perimeter and vanished. His rock-hammer and prison uniform are found outside the pipe. How he made good his escape with no equipment, clothing, or known accomplices, nobody can determine.

A few weeks later, Red gets a blank postcard from a small town near the Mexican border, and surmises that Andy crossed the border there. Shortly afterwards, Red is paroled. After forty years' imprisonment, he finds the transition to life "outside" to be a difficult process. On the weekends, he hitch-hikes to Buxton, searching for suitable hay fields from Andy's "directions". After several months of wandering the rural town roads, he does find a field with a rock wall on the correct side. It even has a black rock in it. Under this rock, he finds a letter addressed to him from "Peter Stevens" inviting him to join Peter at the town he had told him about. With the letter are twenty fifty dollar bills ($1000). The story ends with Red violating his parole to follow Andy to Mexico.
Surzy
Surzy

Back to top Go down

4th email from Spearman: "The choice is made" (Find Andy blog) - Page 11 Empty Andy

Post  clockworkdoll Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:24 pm

That's what I was thinking, with the box and all. I still haven't received my 2nd email from spearman yet, so I'm just working ahead of the game. My pc crashed so I've only joined tonight. Anyone else have stuff to add?

clockworkdoll

Back to top Go down

Post  rogibson Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:24 pm

Surzy wrote:Could it really be this simple??

Before being sentenced to life, Andy managed, with the help of his closest friend, to sell off his assets and invest them under a pseudonym. This made-up person, Peter Stevens, has a driver's license, social security card, and other credentials. The documents required to claim Peter Stevens's assets and assume his identity are in a safe deposit box in a Portland bank; the key to the box is hidden under a black rock in a rock wall lining a hay field in the small town of Buxton, not too far from Shawshank.

After eighteen years in prison, Andy shares the information with Red (Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding), describing exactly how to find the place and how one day "Peter Stevens" will own a small seaside resort hotel in Mexico. Andy also tells Red that he could use a man who knows how to get things. Red, somewhat confused about why Andy has confided this information in him, reflects on Andy's continued ability to surprise.

One morning after he has been incarcerated for nearly twenty-seven years, Andy literally disappears from his locked cell. After searching the prison grounds and surrounding area without finding any sign of an escaped man, the warden looks in Andy's cell and discovers that the poster on his wall (now showing Linda Ronstadt) covers a man-sized hole. Andy had used his rock hammer—and a replacement when the original wore down—not just to shape rocks, but to dig a hole, incredibly painstakingly and over many years, through the wall. Once through the wall, he broke into a sewage pipe, crawled through it for some 500 yards, emerged into a field beyond prison's outer perimeter and vanished. His rock-hammer and prison uniform are found outside the pipe. How he made good his escape with no equipment, clothing, or known accomplices, nobody can determine.

A few weeks later, Red gets a blank postcard from a small town near the Mexican border, and surmises that Andy crossed the border there. Shortly afterwards, Red is paroled. After forty years' imprisonment, he finds the transition to life "outside" to be a difficult process. On the weekends, he hitch-hikes to Buxton, searching for suitable hay fields from Andy's "directions". After several months of wandering the rural town roads, he does find a field with a rock wall on the correct side. It even has a black rock in it. Under this rock, he finds a letter addressed to him from "Peter Stevens" inviting him to join Peter at the town he had told him about. With the letter are twenty fifty dollar bills ($1000). The story ends with Red violating his parole to follow Andy to Mexico.

But how does Lox and SOLOS fit in?

rogibson

Back to top Go down

Post  jude Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:36 pm

clockworkdoll wrote:I did type the numbers into google maps along with the place name though. It pinpointed a particular street for me. Here is the link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB277GB277&q=Latitude+1351%2c+Longitude+8041

It fits with the latitude 1351 and longitude 8041.

By the way, has anyone realised that:
a) We've been referring to being 'Down the rabbit hole' a lot.
b) Alice from Alice in Wonderland talked a lot about latitude and longitude.
Just interesting.

And when he escapes he goes through a hole...and comes out of one.
jude
jude

Back to top Go down

Post  JayKay Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 am

I just have to post and say I'm online!!! I've had to go to a cafe thanks to my service provider being so duff! I've had about an hour's web this weekend and it'll be off till the 12th!!! I am doomed. I will have to sit in cafes teh rest of the week. But, hurrah, I am online. What a bloody week of work, computers and web shit! Phew!
JayKay
JayKay

http://twitter.com/JackieKane

Back to top Go down

Post  HannahHannah81 Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:33 am

Hello JayKay - welcome back!! Smile
HannahHannah81
HannahHannah81

Back to top Go down

Post  JayKay Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am

Christ almighty, you have no idea the week I've had trying to catch up at nights after work with a computer that's been crashing every ten mins and a network that's been intermittent and now non- existent! Jeezo. I have been one of those shirty customers the past couple of days. They're Geordies at Virgin, so they bloody well stand their ground - even when a mental Scotswoman is barking at them. I've had to join Orange mobile broadband just to make sure I can get online for at least a few hours a day for the rest of the week. My dongle (such a rude word) arrives tomorrow. I can't spend all day in a bloody cafe, asking folks to watch my computer whilst I go to the loo cos I've felt obliged to drink 500 coffees (actually, apple and cherry juices mostly)! Thank you though to the lovely staff at the Union for allowing me to park my butt all day even though it's Mart's membership!

Right, I'd better get on and read everything. I will most certainly not be of any use cos it's geography based though. Fanks Hannah, it's a relief to be able to at least read what's going on and thank you so much for all the keepy uppy you've been doing for everyone. Ta.

Oh, I don't think that Google link wirh the coordinates is working. Might just be taht I don't know how to make it work though! Very Happy
JayKay
JayKay

Back to top Go down

Post  nikki_watt Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:19 am

im searching my mind, did db not mention that film recently, can remember if it was on the blog or his twitter but he defo spoke about it in saying that he didnt like it or something....can anyone remember??
nikki_watt
nikki_watt

http://www.twitter.com/Nikki_watt

Back to top Go down

Post  rogibson Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:21 am

nikki_watt wrote:im searching my mind, did db not mention that film recently, can remember if it was on the blog or his twitter but he defo spoke about it in saying that he didnt like it or something....can anyone remember??

Shawshank Redemption? It was in his Tricks of the Mind book, pages 283-4.

rogibson

Back to top Go down

Post  nikki_watt Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:24 am

rogibson wrote:
nikki_watt wrote:im searching my mind, did db not mention that film recently, can remember if it was on the blog or his twitter but he defo spoke about it in saying that he didnt like it or something....can anyone remember??

Shawshank Redemption? It was in his Tricks of the Mind book, pages 283-4.

aha!!! ok KNEW id read it somewhere xx Very Happy
nikki_watt
nikki_watt

http://www.twitter.com/Nikki_watt

Back to top Go down

Post  JayKay Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am

What does he say about it? I'm not at home so cannie read it.
JayKay
JayKay

Back to top Go down

Post  rogibson Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:50 am

JayKay wrote:What does he say about it? I'm not at home so cannie read it.

He uses it as an example of "bad thinking", stressing the importance that people shouldn't "become cocooned in their own little worlds" and should try to approach everything with an attitude of "it might just be me" - Derren's "it might just be me" is he doesn't like Shawshank Redemption whilst nearly everybody else sees it as a modern classic.

rogibson

Back to top Go down

Post  JayKay Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 am

I keep sitting through writing seminars which site it as a prime example of 'redemption', which is a basic story premise. I always thought it was an all too obvious example or redemption and a bit lame and sappy as a film. And too long to sit through twice.
JayKay
JayKay

Back to top Go down

Post  SemiColon Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:48 pm

rogibson wrote:
He uses it as an example of "bad thinking", stressing the importance that people shouldn't "become cocooned in their own little worlds" and should try to approach everything with an attitude of "it might just be me" - Derren's "it might just be me" is he doesn't like Shawshank Redemption whilst nearly everybody else sees it as a modern classic.

I'd have to agree with Derren on that one.

SemiColon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11